The Broader Public Service (BPS) Conference and Sector Divisional Meetings have been scheduled.
- Broader Public Service Conference:
- Friday, November 17, 2023 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- BPS Sector Divisional Meetings (SDMs)
- Saturday, November 18, 2023 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, November 19, 2023 9:00 a.m.
- Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
- 123 Queen St. West
- Toronto, ON
- M5H 2M9 416-361-1000
- Single rate: $252 +taxes
- Meeting Room: Grand Ballroom
- Thursday, November 16, 2023 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 17, 2023 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, November 18, 2023 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, November 19, 2023 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Green P Parking – 37 Queen St. E, Toronto, ON M5C 1R5
- Monday – Friday
- Day Maximum until 6 p.m. – $32.00 (Entering 7 a.m. – 10 a.m.)
- Day Maximum until 6 p.m. – $20.00 (Entering 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
- Saturday – Sunday
- Day Maximum (7 a.m. – 6 p.m.) – $9.00
- Night Maximum (6 p.m. – 7 a.m.) – $8.00
- *Note: valet parking receipts are not a reimbursable claim.
Please note: This is a hybrid event. If you elect to attend virtually, one week prior to the event a Zoom link with instructions will be sent to you. No expenses outside of time off (if required) will be reimbursed unless otherwise pre-approved. Meals for virtual participants are not covered. To inquire about pre-approval, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delegate entitlement is determined by bargaining unit configuration, not by Local. A bargaining unit is a group of employees covered by a single collective agreement. Delegates to the Conference must be elected as per OPSEU/SEFPO Policy.
The Delegate entitlement for the following sectors is based on Convention formula by bargaining unit:
- Sector 2 Developmental Services
- Sector 3 Boards of Education
- Sector 5 Community Agencies
- Sector 7 BPS Corrections
- Sector 9 Universities
- Sector 10 Hospital Professionals Division
- Sector 11 Hospital Support
- Sector 14 Private Contractors
- Sector 17 Community Health Care Professionals
- Sector 18 Mental Health and Addictions
- Sector 19 Canadian Blood Services (CBS) & Diagnostics
- Sector 20 General
- Sector 26 Liquor Board Employees Division (LBED), Ambassador Duty Free
NOTE: Because this is a BPS conference only BPS bargaining units are eligible to send delegates, (i.e. not Colleges of Applied Arts & Technology (CAAT) or Ontario Public Service (OPS) Units) and only BPS members are eligible to be delegates, (i.e. not CAAT or OPS members).
The Convention Formula is as follows:
- Up to 150 members 1 delegate
- 151 to 300 members 2 delegates
- 301 to 500 members 3 delegates
- 501 to 800 members 4 delegates
- 801 to 1,100 members 5 delegates
- 1,101 to 1,500 members 6 delegates
- 1,501 to 1,900 members 7 delegates
- 1,901 to 2,300 members 8 delegates
- 2,301 or more members 9 delegates
However, if there is more than one BPS Unit/Employer contract within the same Local, each Unit is entitled to a delegate from that Unit.
The following sectors have bylaws which allow them to have a different delegate entitlement:
Sector 1 – Ambulance
- Each BPS unit is entitled to delegates as per the Convention formula for both the Conference and the Sector Divisional Meeting.
- Each Ontario Public Service (OPS) Dispatch Service is entitled to delegates (with voice and no vote) as per the Convention formula but only to the Sector Divisional Meeting.
Sector 4 – Children’s Aid Societies (CAS)
- (1 to 200 unionized employees) – 2 delegates; over 200 members – 3 delegates)
- There is a maximum of 3 delegates per Local/Unit with the exception of Article 6.2 of the CAS Bylaws.
Sector 8 – Long Term Care
- (Up to 100 members – 2 delegates; over 100 members – 3 delegates)
Sector 13 – Municipalities
- (Up to 75 members – 2 delegates; over 75 members – 3 delegates)
Sector 15 – Child Treatment Centers
- (Up to 75 members – 2 delegates; over 75 members – 3 delegates)
Sector 16 – Property Assessment
- (Each Sector 16 Local is entitled to 1 delegate for 1 to 50 members, 51 to 98 members – 2 delegates; 99 and over members – 3 delegates)
Should your Units or Locals have any questions about delegate entitlement please send an email to BPSConference@opseu.org
Credential Attestation Form
The OPSEU/SEFPO Policy Manual (Section 16.1) states two (2) signatures are required on all delegate credentials. We have provided one form for you to list all attendees on. The Credential Attestation Form must be signed by two (2) Local Officers.
Please clearly identify your status, i.e. Delegate/Alternate/Observer.
Note: other required forms cannot be processed until this form is received.
All delegates are determined according to OPSEU/SEFPO’s Convention formula, unless your Sector has been identified above as having a different delegate entitlement. Any alternate(s) and observers accompanying delegates are at the Local’s expense. Head Office will cover an alternate’s expense ONLY where the alternate attends instead of and in place of the Delegate. Please note that alternates, like delegates, must be elected.
Hotel Room Bookings
In accordance with the OPSEU/SEFPO policy (Section 10.1-5), any member who resides further than 60 kilometers from the event may request that OPSEU/SEFPO make their hotel reservation on their behalf by completing the Hotel Registration section when registering for the event in the OPSEU/SEFPO Member Portal.
OPSEU/SEFPO will be booking all hotel rooms centrally. Delegates will be reimbursed for single room hotel accommodation.
Members are also responsible for payment of their hotel room upon check out as there are no charges billed back to OPSEU/SEFPO. Please save your itemized receipt and submit it with your Membership Expense Claim Form.
Please also notify the Conferences Unit of any special accessibility needs that you may have with respect to your hotel room.
Any additional nights outside of this policy must be pre-approved by the Conferences & Travel Unit, regardless of Region or distance from the event.
Human Rights Accommodation Request Form
Should you require a human rights accommodation or have an existing accommodation under the Human Rights Code, please complete and submit the Human Rights Accommodation Request Form in full.
Family, Dependent and Attendant Care are covered expenses for this event for those who require it at the event or at home.
OPSEU/SEFPO Child Care Policy
OPSEU/SEFPO undertakes to provide child care services, when requested, at all union educationals, conventions, regional, divisional, and demand-setting meetings where the membership requests at least three weeks prior to the event. Members who bring their children to OPSEU/SEFPO sponsored functions should normally be required to use the on-site child care service if it is available. The three-week notice will ensure adequate time to process advances when requested. If no requests for on-site child care are received three weeks prior to the activity date, child care arrangements for on-site child care may not be made. If members then bring children to the event without the required notice, the member should be responsible for making his/her own child care arrangements.
Procedures for Online Submission of Forms
Members are to complete their Event Registration, Hotel Booking and Child Care Registration through OPSEU/SEFPO’s Member Portal.
Attached you will find the following documentation:
- Credential Attestation Form
- Advance Form
- OPSEU/SEFPO Human Rights Accommodation Form
- Member Portal Quick Intro
- Event Registration Tutorial
- Online Expense Claim Tutorial
To confirm your registration, please submit all forms by email to the Conferences Unit (email@example.com) no later than Thursday October 12, 2023.
Submit all advance request forms to Advances@opseu.org
We appreciate your participation in these meetings.
Chair, BPS All Chairs
Authorized for Distribution: