Seven first responders in Ontario have committed suicide this year, according to a PTSD advocacy group, and there have been four more deaths across the country.
Wanda Montague and Martin Wood were inseparable for 20 years. Montague said her husband took pride in his job and "commitment to duty, honour and respect," but that something this past weekend "triggered him so badly that he saw no way out."
Toronto NDP MPP Cheri DiNovo has been fighting to have emergency responders suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) recognized as a workplace illness ever since a distressed paramedic walked into her office.
TORONTO – The President of OPSEU is pleased the Ontario government is moving to address Post‑Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) among first responders. However, Warren (Smokey) Thomas stressed that legislation is needed to underpin any meaningful PTSD strategy.
Peel paramedics are mourning one of their own in the death of veteran paramedic Martin Wood who died suddenly on Sunday, January 31, 2016.
Select an item from this list for content specific to your employer.
- Bruce County EMS
- City of Kawartha Lakes Ambulance Service
- Grey County Ambulance (EMS)
- Guelph-Wellington EMS - Guelph City
- Guelph-Wellington EMS - Wellington County
- Hotel Dieu Hospital Kingston - Dispatch
- Manitoulin Sudbury District Social Services - Ambulance Paramed
- Middlesex-London Emergency Medical Services Author
- Middlesex-London Emergency Medical Services Authority
- Region of Peel Emergency Medical Services
- Regional Municipality of Halton - Ambulance Paramed
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Wallaceburg CACC
- The Corporation of Norfolk County
- The Corporation of the City of Hamilton
- The Corporation of the County of Brant EMS
- The Corporation of the County of Frontenac
- The Corporation of the County of Lennox & Addington EMS
- The Corporation of the County of Lennox and Adding
- The Corporation of the County of Northumberland
- The Corporation of the County of Simcoe
- The Corporation of the Municipality of Temagami Ambulance Services
- The County of Oxford
- West Parry Sound Health Centre - Paramedics Dispatch