OPSEU/SEFPO’s Provincial Young Workers Committee (PYC) is seeking nominations for the Young Worker of the Year Award!
This award will recognize achievements in leadership, innovative thinking, and transforming communities as they relate to engaging young workers.
- Must be an OPSEU/SEFPO member in good standing
- 35 years of age or younger
The selection for the recipient of the Young Worker of the Year Award is based on union and/or community activism that incorporates and promotes the rights and empowerment of the next generation of workers.
At each annual convention, OPSEU/SEFPO will present one Young Worker of the Year Award.
Nominations can be made by any member, local, member of the Executive Board, staff or member of any provincial equity committee or caucus.
The nominations will be collected and reviewed against the criteria below.
Nominations must include information which outlines the nature of the contribution made by the member which could include, but is not limited to the following:
- Organizing and educating members around equity, human rights and/or young worker issues in the workplace and community;
- Organizing and educating members to ensure that the workplace and Union are harassment and discrimination free zones;
- Ensuring that their local’s decision making processes include young workers and are guided by the principles of access, equity and human rights;
- Ensuring that the employer and the Union comply with the provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code and OPSEU/SEFPO’s Harassment and Discrimination Policy;
- Providing assistance and support for members who experience harassment and discrimination
- Description of how their activism has positively impacted the labour movement and/or their community allies.
Members of OPSEU/SEFPO’s Provincial Young Workers Committee (PYC) will review and select an award recipient from all nominations received by the Equity Unit. The recipient will be presented with the Young Worker of the Year Award at the 2023 Convention.
All nominations including the member’s contact information must be made in writing and sent to OPSEU/SEFPO’s Equity Unit at email@example.com no later than February 5, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact the Equity Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org
Provincial Young Workers Committee