Message from OPSEU President Warren (Smokey) Thomas
Dear Public Health Ontario members,
On behalf of OPSEU’s entire Executive Board, I’d like to offer hearty congratulations to you and your bargaining team for your professionalism, diligence, and patience. They have all paid off with an arbitration award that we can all be proud of.
I’ll let your bargaining team members fill you in on the details below, but rest assured that the arbitration board has recognized the value of the work you do. The current government might not respect the work you do, but OPSEU members certainly do. And so do the people of Ontario.
You make an incredible difference in everyone’s day-to-day lives. I’m proud you stood up so strongly for yourselves and the services you provide. And I’m proud to be a member with you in OPSEU.
Warren (Smokey) Thomas
Message from your PHO bargaining team
Dear PHO members,
The wait is over and we have received our arbitration award!
Thank you for your patience. It’s been a long three months since the interest arbitration hearing took place on June 3, but we are happy to report the award addresses some our demands.
Here are the highlights of the award and agreed to items:
- An across-the board-wage increase of 1.4 per cent effective April 1, 2018, and a further across-the-board wage increase of 1.75 per cent effective April 1, 2019
- Special Case Wage Adjustments for MLT 1, MLT 2 and LA 2 (details below)
- A $2-an-hour weekend shift premium effective September 16, 2019
- Probationary period reduced by nearly 15 per cent, from 942.5 hours to 812.5 hours
- Bargaining committee restored to our preferred composition: a five-member team, with no more than three members from Toronto and no more than one member from any single regional worksite
- Renewal of Letter of Understanding – Termination Payments
- Renewal and Update of Letter of Understanding – Pension Bridging
- Claim for related experience for new hires
- A 2-year term from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2020, which means we can get back to the table quickly to win even more improvements
Your bargaining team is happy to report that all members will see a general wage increase with retroactivity: April 1, 2018 – 1.4 per cent increase and April 1, 2019 – 1.75 per cent increase.
Current employees on staff, as of the date of the interest arbitration award, will be paid retroactivity, within five full pay periods on the basis of hours paid.
Our other big gain was that we will now get a shift premium on the weekends of $2 an hour.
We are pleased the award acknowledges the wage parity argument for MLT 1, MLT 2 and LA 2, and provides some catch-up to Hospital Central rates effective April 1, 2019.
This contract will expire on March 31, 2020 which will bring us right back to the bargaining table this spring.
Again, thank you for your patience and for everything you do to make Public Health Ontario so strong.
Your Public Health Ontario Bargaining Team:
Omid NouriLocal 545 (Toronto)
Bargaining Team Chair
Local 545 (Toronto)
Local 113 (London)
Local 412 (Ottawa)
Local 545 (Toronto)
Special Case Adjustments
- Effective April 1, 2019, and before the general wage increase, the Medical Laboratory Technologist 1 wage rate will increase by 1.5 per cent, commencing at Step 3 of the wage grid.
- Effective April 1, 2019, and before the general wage increase, the Medical Laboratory Technologist 2 wage rate will increase by 1 per cent, commencing at Step 3 of the wage grid.
- Effective April 1, 2019, and before the general wage increase, the Laboratory Attendant 2 wage rate will increase by 1 per cent, commencing at Step 3 of the wage grid.