A message from your OPSEU Universities Sector Executive
OPSEU represents 4890 University Sector members in 19 Locals and 30 bargaining units throughout Ontario. We are faculty, professional and support staff, librarians, security food and support services staff at post-secondary campuses. As this is a large sector representing workers with many different skills and careers, your elected executive is working hard to ensure we serve the full diversity of our needs.
The Universities Sector Executive is working closely with many units within OPSEU to better map and understand the environments that we work in. We have been able to collaborate with organizing efforts, bargaining updates, communications and campaigns initiatives, sector research and media plans.
An outreach campaign is underway to inform members within the Universities Sector about bargaining and common issues, as well as the importance and benefits of being an active member in OPSEU.
Recent numbers have shown that nearly half of our Sector members have not yet signed an OPSEU membership card. As we move forward, with your help, we want to be able to provide representation, service, benefits and opportunities to ALL Sector members. In order to do this, we encourage Locals to have a sign-up drive, and reach out once again to have members sign their cards. Call the OPSEU Resource Centre (1-800-268-7376) or talk to your OPSEU Staff Representative to find out more about the signing of membership cards and its benefits.
Campus Safety workers at Carleton University are back to work with a new contract
Campus Safety workers at Ottawa’s Carleton University returned to work on April 1, 2014, after a strike that lasted more than three weeks. They voted 66% in favour of their new contract, giving the employer a clear message that the agreement does not fully address all of the workers' concerns. However this is a first contract, and improvements are expected during future rounds of bargaining.
“Thanks to everyone who offered their solidarity while Campus Safety workers were on the picket line,” said Bargaining Team Chair, Brent Gobeo. “A huge number of OPSEU locals and members showed us support, and we especially appreciate the solidarity of CUPE 4600, NUPGE, CUPE 5500, CUPE 2424, CUASA, ATU 279 and the Ottawa and District Labour Council, as well as all of the many other unions, students, and members of the community. We are overwhelmed by the number of people who sent emails and letters, offered donations and joined us out on the line in spite of the cold weather.”
The three-year contract includes an increase in wages as well as improvements to job security.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive our newsletter and to be added to our mailing list
Now available at www.OPSEUshop.com
Find your OPSEU Universities gear (t-shirts, golf shirts, hats, etc)
Order an OPSEU Universities flag for your next rally
Order a customized banner for your Local
OPSEU Sector 9 includes members at the following universities and post-secondary contractors:
- Association of Canadian Community Colleges – Ottawa – L.446
- Carleton University – Ottawa – L.404
- Fleming College – Peterborough – L.351
- George Brown College – Toronto – L.557
- Guelph University – Guelph – L.231
- Huron University College – London – L.144
- Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences – Toronto – L.572
- Mohawk College – Hamilton – L.281
- Nipissing University – North Bay – L.608
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine – Thunder Bay + Sudbury – L.677
- Ontario College of Art and Design – Toronto – L.576
- Ontario College of Trades – Toronto – L.503
- Ontario Institute for Studies in Education – Toronto – L.578
- Ontario Science Centre – Toronto – L.549
- Palin Foundation (Oakham House) – Toronto – L.596
- Ryerson Polytechnic University – Toronto – L.596
- St. Clair College – Windsor and Chatham Kent – L.137
- St. Lawrence College – Kingston – L.497
- Trent University – Peterborough – L.365
- University of Toronto – Toronto –L.519
- Western University – London – L.102
- York University – Toronto – L.578
OPSEU Convention 2014
Be sure to visit the OPSEU Sector 9 Universities table at Convention
2014! Come and introduce yourself and hear about everything our
Sector is doing.
Meet the OPSEU Universities Executive Committee:
Local 144- Compass Group of Canada (Huron College)
Local 519- University of Toronto
Local 608- Nipissing University
MEMBER AT LARGE
Local 596- Ryerson University