The Pension Liaison Committee invites you or someone you know to get involved with the OPSEU Pension Trust (OPTrust), by applying to be a Trustee.
The appointment is effective as of April 15, 2016 and is for a three year term.
With the challenges facing defined benefit pension plans, we need people who have a firm and deep commitment to the labour movement and Union principles, as well as an understanding of pension plans, Trustee responsibilities and the legal framework surrounding pensions.
Trustees are generally required to meet several meetings each year plus various pension-related activities and training. Expenses are reimbursed according to the OPSEU policy. The successful candidate must be willing to sign a letter of agreement that they will claim expenses only as per OPSEU policies.
Who should apply?
OPSEU is looking for individuals with:
- knowledge and commitment to OPSEU’s beliefs and pension policy;
- a good understanding of defined benefit pension plans and federal and provincial pension legislations across Canada;
- knowledge of the OPT Pension Plan;
- knowledge of governance and pension matters;
- a demonstrated ability to understand complex issues and investment philosophy is preferred;
- the ability to commit to attending at least four meetings per year plus any additional committee work;
- ability to effectively communicate, ask questions and defend one’s position;
- knowledge of finance and investment particularly in the pension plan environment;
- experience in pension plans (union and/or community).
If you or someone you know would be interested in applying for this exciting position as a union trustee, please forward your application including name, contact information and place of employment and resume no later than February 26th to:
Pensions and Benefits Unit
5757 Coopers Avenue
Fax: (905) 712-3009
A written test will be required and candidates will be selected for an interview.