OPS Table Talk 2016 Issue 42 – Corrections bargaining: further mediation set for January 8-9
Publication DateWednesday, January 6, 2016 - 11:30am
Further mediation with the employer will take place on January 8, continuing on January 9 if required.
We remind you that OPSEU is recognized as the exclusive bargaining agent for the Correctional Bargaining Unit, and all agreements will be negotiated centrally. Your bargaining team has sent a message to all local presidents asking that they NOT engage in negotiations with the employer or sign agreements leading up to, or following, the legal strike or lockout deadline on January 10.
The Essential Services Administrative Group met on January 5 to discuss issues that have arisen concerning emergency services. The group communicated the following information:
- Please disregard the letters that the employer sent out to some members indicating that they were eligible for emergency services. These letters were not provided to your bargaining team. We have put the employer on notice that the letters are invalid, and that the eligibility list used is incorrect and must be redone.
- Eligibility lists will be corrected and reissued to your bargaining team, and then sent to locals for verification.
- Draws will occur once the lists have been verified.
- Union officials and fixed-term employees can opt out of emergency services.
- A worksite union representative needs to be identified at each local.
- Worksite inspections will occur at all institutions/facilities.
The group will meet again on January 7.
Question-and-answer documents are being posted to OPSEU’s website today regarding strike pay, benefits, and Unified Bargaining Unit members working during a strike.
OPSEU staff representatives will contact local presidents this week to provide information on approved Form B lists and a new simplified strike payment system. Finance Committee chairs will be able to input weekly strike duty hours directly into our membership database at head office. This process will not require downloading software or uploading spreadsheets.
Again, we remind you that it is vital that all members fill out a Form B (strike pay by direct deposit) to receive strike pay.
Please download a Form B from the link below and ensure that completed forms and voided cheques are returned to head office from your locals via the regional offices as soon as possible.
Your Corrections Bargaining Team
Related: Crisis In Corrections Index Page