Bargaining teams representing 36,000 direct employees of the Ontario government will meet with government representatives for the first time on Tuesday, Nov. 13 to begin talks for a new collective agreement.
OPSEU President Warren (Smokey) Thomas said this contract is about protecting quality public services for all Ontarians.
"Public jobs make public services work," said Thomas. "The people of Ontario have learned an expensive lesson with eHealth, Ornge and private ServiceOntario kiosks. Privatizing public services is a failed experiment that results in less accountability and public dollars going into the pockets of private business as profits."
45 different events will be held across the province on Nov. 13 for OPSEU members to support their bargaining teams and send a message that services must be protected.
"Our collective agreement is a barrier to the government from completely dismantling the services Ontarians rely on," said Thomas. "This isn't about wage freezes or concessions. This is about the future of our province, and protecting accountable, reliable and cost-effective services."
OPSEU represents all Ministry employees who work directly for the Ontario government. The current collective agreement expires Dec. 31, 2012.
Local bargaining kick-off events are listed below
For more information on the events, contact the local organizers listed.
- Windsor: Mickey Riccardi, 226-787-1729
- Woodstock ODSP, ServiceOntario, Courthouse, and Stratford Jail and Courthouse: Todd Snider, 519-498-0787
- London: Lorna Bulgin, 519-719-9822
- Milton: 6 a.m. — 8 a.m., Maplehurst Correctional Complex and Vanier Centre for Women: Paula Hagen, 519-807-4800
- Peterborough: 11:30 a.m., march to MPP Jeff Leal's office, 236 King St., Peterborough: Sean Platt, 905-376-4909
- Barrie & Orillia: Lisa Egan, 705-791-9207
- Oshawa: 40 King St. W., 7 a.m. — 11 a.m.: Theresa Rolls, 289-356-4121
- Lindsay: Central East Correctional Centre, Courthouse, ServiceOntario, Chris Butsch, 705-340-3836
- Penetanguishene: Central North Correctional Centre: Chris Jackel, 705-717-5936
- Ottawa: 12 noon, 347 Preston: Dylan Linegar, 613-720-4832
- Ottawa: 7 a.m. — 10 a.m., Ottawa Carleton Detention Centre: Ron Pilon, 613-293-6581
- Renfrew: Ben Treidlinger, 613-570-0617
- Belleville: ODSP and ServiceOntario: Pam Smith, 613-968-0792
- Kingston: Local 468 Office, 275 Bagot St., Rm 307: Ryan Nickel, 613-876-5013
- Toronto: 8 a.m. — 9 a.m., 900 Bay Street, southwest corner of Bay and Wellesley: Julius Arscott, 647-728-9143, **OPS Central/Unified Bargaining Team will attend**.
- Toronto: 11 a.m., Toronto Jail, 550 Gerrard St. E.: Rob McMillan, 416-578-3397, **Corrections Bargaining Team and MPP Peter Tabuns will attend**.
- Sault Ste. Marie: Noon — 1 p.m., rally outside MPP David Orazietti's office, 432 Great Northern Rd: Janice Zultek 705-943-3007, Mike Bisaillon, 705-492-8818
- Thunder Bay: 11:45 — 1:30 p.m., rally and food drive, 435 James St.: Neil MacDonald, 807-474-9501
Warren (Smokey) Thomas: 416-443-8888
Don Ford, OPSEU Communications: 416-448-7442