The OPSEU Joint Trusteed Benefit Fund (OJTBF) is seeking OPSEU members who are also plan members of the OJTBF to join our Board of Trustees as union trustees. Please also feel free to suggest any suitable employer trustee you believe may be a good candidate.
OJTBF opened its doors back in 1996 in the belief that all plan members deserve access to the best possible benefits. That belief is still what drives the Fund today. OPSEU sponsored the OJTBF as a means to ensure members had access to a trustworthy group insurance provider capable of delivering long-term affordable benefits. As a not-for-profit benefits trust, the OJTBF provides group benefit solutions to not-for-profit organizations working to make their communities, the environment and the world a better place.
OJTBF uses a pooled approach to underwriting plans. Essentially, the Fund pools the resources of all participating organizations together so that, collectively, they are one large buying group. Their size allows members to secure significant discounts and flexibility from an insurer – discounts that are typically only available to larger organizations. Simply put, the model provides large group pricing and service to small and mid-sized organizations. Being not for profit ensures that the maximum amount of paid premium dollars goes towards offsetting paid claims, while minimizing the amount allocated to insurer and broker administrative expenses.
We are looking for people who want to contribute to the success of an organization that really does care about the lives and families of all its members. As a union trustee, you will work alongside employer representatives on the board to address organizational realities in a proactive and constructive joint effort.
Trustees play a crucial role in the oversight and growth of the OJTBF, and provide valuable input into assisting the organization meet its goals. The trust structure, with an equal number of union and employer trustees, recognizes the interdependence of union members and employers in delivering quality benefits as effectively and efficiently as possible.
The OJTBF maintains a pool of OPSEU and Employer Trustee candidates from which trustees are selected. Trustees will be selected by the plan sponsor in a manner that seeks broad representation within our client base. Trustees are appointed for a two-year term.
Who Should Apply?
- a desire to serve in a manner that supports the broad interests of the OJTBF's mission;
- a commitment of time (in addition to a minimum of four trustee meetings per year, additional time for committee meetings and work, along with preparation time);
- an interest in benefits and some fundamental knowledge of the benefits marketplace or a willingness to learn (supported by materials from the OJTBF);
- an understanding of OPSEU's beliefs and policies;
- a demonstrated ability to read, research and formulate positions clearly and to work in a cooperative "joint" environment;
- an ability to articulate positions at caucus, committee and full Board of Trustees meetings.
- You must be employed by an organization that has benefits provided by the OJTBF and be an OPSEU member.
Interviews with candidates will be conducted by a committee of the Board of Trustees before final names are submitted to the plan sponsor for consideration.
Please become a trustee candidate by submitting a letter of interest and your resume (including two references) by October 26, 2016 to:
121-6 Lansing Square
Toronto ON M2J 1T5
Please note this is a volunteer position, though reasonable expenses will be reimbursed under the OPSEU Expense Policy.