Dear members and supporters,
On Friday, May 1, the Ontario Health Coalition, OPSEU and our community partners across Ontario will be holding a virtual Day of Action, calling on Doug Ford to make improvements to Long-Term Care in Ontario. We invite all members to stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Long-Term Care and join this online Day of Action.
COVID-19 is spreading exponentially in Ontario’s long-term care homes. The homes already suffered critical staffing shortages and inadequate levels of care before COVID-19. Now the situation is an emergency.
The Ford government has made improvements to testing, and their recent announcement to improve wages for frontline workers was a huge step forward to improving long-term care for workers and residents. We need to make sure these wage increases become permanent and get Doug Ford to address other systemic issues in long-term care.
The conditions of care for our loved ones are the conditions of work for the staff. We, the families, the residents, concerned community members, staff, health professionals, nurses, doctors, unions are speaking with one voice. We have a chance to make real progress now.
For event details and to RSVP on the Facebook event, click here.
How can you join the online Day of Action?
- Print the poster (attached below), or simply hold it up on a computer, tablet or other device.
- Take a picture of yourself with the poster.
- On Friday, May 1, post your photo here to the Facebook event page and add a comment.
- If you’re a Twitter user, tweet your photo using the hashtag #FixLTCFord and tag @fordnation.
- You can also post to Instagram.
- Don’t forget to include the hashtag in all your posts #FixLTCFord so that we can count you as joining in the Day of Action.
- Not sure how to share your photo on social media? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share it for you!
- Share this message with everyone you know!
It takes just minutes to participate but can make all the difference for residents and workers in long-term care.
We are asking Doug Ford to:
- Immediately improved access to PPE
- Permanently improved wages + full time work
- 4-hr minimum care standard
- Better infection control
- No more for-profit care
Invite your friends and family. Spread the word and let’s make senior care a priority well after the pandemic is over.
Download printable versions of the Day of Action poster: