Welcome to OPSEU!
With September upon us and a new school year beginning, many of you are starting new college support part-time jobs and many are returning to work after a semester off.
OPSEU President, Warren (Smokey) Thomas, wishes a warm welcome to all of these newest OPSEU members. “OPSEU is proud to have organized more than 20,000 part-time college support staff. You will be part of the first group of part-time workers at Ontario colleges ever to experience what it means to have a union. I am looking forward to sharing with you all of the supports and benefits of being part of our family.”
As students return to Ontario’s colleges, many of you are also starting new part-time support jobs including peer tutoring and peer support services. That means you are also members of OPSEU.
As a union member, you have the power to help change the workplace for the better for thousands of workers like you across the province.
Get involved as we work together to negotiate our first-ever college support part-time collective agreement with the colleges.
Welcome to OPSEU!
Busy weeks ahead at the bargaining table
Your bargaining team was back at the table with the college employer team on August 23, 24, 30 and 31, following a six week period when the employer did not give us any bargaining dates.
We are making progress and working through the issues of establishing a first collective agreement. Currently, we are focused on non-monetary items.
Please keep informed as the coming semester will be very busy with back to back weeks of negotiations. Things can change very quickly.
We have further bargaining dates booked for September 18, 19, 24, 25, 26, as well as October 2, 3, 4, 15, 16, 17.
Get the most out of being part of OPSEU!
As a college support part-time member, you will be covered by the collective agreement that we are currently negotiating. However, you need to fill out your membership application to take advantage of everything your union has to offer.
Here are the top 6 reasons why you should fill out your membership form right away
1) Keep in touch with your union: When you sign a membership application, OPSEU can share important communications with you about negotiations, union events and news that may affect your workplace. And we always keep your personal contact information private.
2) Run for office: Card-holding members can run for election as a local union representative. Try your hand at being a committee member, or a unit steward. You might also want to run for local treasurer, vice-president or president.
3) Participate in events: OPSEU organizes numerous events every year. From educational opportunities and equity conferences to leadership mobilizing events, you will want to attend them all.
4) Strengthen your local: Your local is stronger when more members are involved. When you sign your membership application form your union dues start going back to your local and can be used for local activities. It also allows you to take part in your local union and vote on decisions that affect you in your workplace.
5) Get more delegates for Convention: OPSEU Convention is where policy decisions are made each year. The more signed members you have in your local, the more delegates your local may send to Convention.
6) Exercise your rights: Signing your membership application form is a win for you! Your employer doesn’t ever know who signs a card, and it is your legal right to be a union member.
Apply for your OPSEU union card. Visit http://bit.ly/OPSEUmember. Download the membership application form, fill it in and give it to your union steward.
Stay tuned for local events
As the new school year starts up, your local union representatives are planning solidarity events to support our bargaining team. Show your solidarity: Participate, mobilize and spread the word. Watch your email and workplace union bulletin boards for more information.
Do you have a few extra hours available each week? OPSEU is looking for extra college support part-time staff mobilizers. We need people on the ground who can spread the word and help with upcoming events. Please contact email@example.com if you can help out. Compensation will be provided for all chosen.
Your bargaining team,
Ted Claeys, Local 124 at Lambton College, Chair
Duncan McFarlane, Local 416 at Algonquin College, Vice-chair
Jennifer Ayotte, Local 656 at Cambrian College
Christopher Millado, Local 557 at George Brown College
Connie Collins, Local 137 at St. Clair College
Janice Hagan, Local 561 at Seneca College, College Support Sector Chair
For more information, visit www.opseu.org
Join our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CollegeSupportPT/
Follow us on Twitter: @CAATSupport_PT #PTchange
Please email your bargaining team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns. We are happy to answer you.
Approved for distribution by Warren (Smokey) Thomas,
President of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union