The OPSEU/SEFPO Francophone Conference has been scheduled from Sept. 22 -24 at La Place des Arts in Sudbury. Please note: This is a hybrid event. A Zoom link will be sent once we receive RSVP. Meals for virtual participants are not covered.
The 2023 OPSEU/SEFPO Francophone Conference will focus on the role OPSEU/SEFPO members play in promoting francophone culture in communities across the province, while recognizing its diversity and intersectionalities. Participants will also gain tools and practice using their francophone voice both inside OPSEU/SEFPO and to francophone media outlets. The overall goal will be for participants to confidently express themselves in French, in public, as well as go home with a better understanding of francophones within the membership and their communities.
- Date: Friday, September 22 to Sunday, September 24
- Registration: September 22 (4pm – 7pm)
- Adjournment: September 24 (12pm)
- Event Location: La Place des Arts 27 Larch Street, Sudbury ON P3E 1B7
Please register no later than Tuesday, August 29, 2023.
- 1312 Kingsway, Sudbury, ON P3B 2E5
- Single rate: $149.00 + taxes (breakfast included)
Holiday Inn Sudbury
- 1696 Regent St, Greater Sudbury, ON P3E 3Z8
- Phone: (705) 522-3000
- Single rate: $141.00 + taxes
Hotel Room Bookings
- OPSEU/SEFPO will make the hotel reservation on behalf of the member when they request a hotel room while registering through the Member Portal. Given the evening portions of the programing, the 60km rule is waived.
- OPSEU/SEFPO will be booking all hotel rooms centrally. Hotel rooms will be reimbursed on a single room basis.
- Members are responsible for payment of their hotel room upon check out as there are no charges billed back to OPSEU/SEFPO. Please save your itemized receipt and submit it with your Membership Expense Claim Form.
- You must notify the hotel of any special accessibility needs that you may have with respect to your hotel room.
- Any additional nights outside of this policy must be pre-approved by the First Vice-President/Treasurer’s office, regardless of Region or distance from the event.
Parking at Place des Arts – Friday before 6pm, maximum of $5. Free in the evening and on the weekend.
Human Rights Accommodation Request Form
Should you require a human rights accommodation or have an existing accommodation under the Human Rights Code, please complete and submit the Human Rights Accommodation Request Form in full. Family, Dependent and Attendant Care are covered expenses for this event for those who require it at the event or at home.
If attending in-person, meals are covered on these dates: 1)Travel days for those staying at the hotel and who live beyond 60km from the event.2)Friday, September 22nd dinner3)Saturday, September 23rd breakfast (for those not at Microtel) and lunch (dinner will be provided)4)Sunday, September 24th breakfast (for those not at Microtel) and lunch
Please submit a HR Accommodation Form if you have food allergies.
OPSEU/SEFPO Child Care Policy
OPSEU/SEFPO undertakes to provide child care services, when requested, at all union educationals, conventions, regional, divisional and demand-setting meetings where the
membership requests at least three weeks prior to the event. Members who bring their children to OPSEU/SEFPO sponsored functions should normally be required to use the on-site child care service if it is available. The three week notice will ensure adequate time to process advances when requested. If no requests for on-site child care are received three weeks prior to the activity date, child care arrangements for on-site child care may not be made. If members then bring children to the event without the required notice, the member should be responsible for making his/her own child care arrangements.
Procedures for Online Registration
Online registration forms for this meeting are now available. Members will be able to complete and submit the Member Event Registration Form, Hotel Booking Form and Registration for Child Care through OPSEU/SEFPO’s Member Portal.
Forms and tutorials
- Advance Form
- OPSEU/SEFPO Human Rights Accommodation Form
- Member Portal Quick Intro
- Event Registration Tutorial
- Online Expense Claim Tutorial
Tentative Conference Agenda
Friday September 22, 2023
5:00 to 7:00 PM Registration (dinner on your own)
6:15 to 6:45 PM Smudging Ceremony
7:00 to 9:00 PM Spectacle – La Slague
5:00 – 9:30 PM Childcare
Saturday September 23, 2023
8:00 to 9:00 AM Breakfast (not provided), Registration Re-opens
9:00 to 9:20 AM Conference Opening, Meet the Provincial Francophone Committee, Opening remarks from OPSEU/SEFPO PrePresident and First Vice-President/Treasurer, Other morning announcements
9:20 to 9:30 AM Icebreaker Activity
9:30 to 10:15 AM Contes de chez nous, contes de partout – une parcours
10:15 to 10:30 AM Break
10:30 AM to Noon Round Table Discussion – Francophone Immigration
Noon to 1:30 PM Lunch (not provided)
1:30 to 2:45 PM Workshop – Public Speaking to French media
2:45 to 3:00 PM Break
3:00 to 4:15 PM Workshop continues
4:15 to 4:30 PM Wrap-up and adjourn
5:00 to 6:00 PM Cocktails/Reception 6:00 to 8:30 PM Dinner (included) and comedy show with Stéphanie
Morin (with La Slague)
8:30 AM to 9:00 PM Childcare
Sunday September 24, 2023
8:00 to 9:00 AM Breakfast (not provided)
9:00 to 9:15 AM Morning Announcements/Recap of Saturday events
9:15 to 10:30 AM Workshop – Stéphanie Morin
10:30 to 10:45 AM Break
10:45 to 11:15 AM Workshop continues
11:15 to Noon Recap of the conference, wrap-up, evaluation, closing
8:30 AM to 12:30 PM Childcare