Title: Communications Officer – Bilingual #1 (89-01), Communications Unit
Location: Head Office 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto ON, M3B 3P8
Date: To be determined – January 10, 2020
Salary: $1,755.00 to $1,951.00 per week (Range 4 – Pro-Tech)
Working Conditions: As provided in the OPSSU/OPSEU Collective Agreement
Applicants interested in applying must be able to fulfill the following qualifications listed below:
Provide public relations and communications specialization for OPSEU and its membership. Acts as lead hand/mentor for campaigns officers and mobilizers
- Provides public relations and communications specialization for all aspects of the organization
- Crafts and develops messaging
- Develops and implements communication and PR strategies
- Writes, edits and designs a variety of in-house publications and a wide range of information materials
- Prepares speeches, material, briefs, news releases, bulletins and pamphlets
- Scans a variety of media sources
- Acts as media spokesperson for the union
- Writes and costs proposals for Executive Board
- Liaises with affiliates, community organizations, coalitions, government agencies as required
- Uses graphics, typography and design to produce OPSEU publications
- Edits and proofreads materials prepared by other staff
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in Communications (or equivalent combination of education and experience) and three years related work experience
- Requires advanced PC skills and knowledge of relevant software packages
- Tact and Diplomacy skills
- Knowledge of contemporary communications strategies, news media, the communications environment, various communication tools and their uses, polling and public opinion
- Knowledge of graphic design principles
- Knowledge of labour and government issues
- Knowledge of OPSEU organization, structure and policies and of own Unit as well as familiarity of operations of other Units
- Understanding and commitment to Labour/Social Democratic Philosophy and Diversity
OPSEU supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Indigenous workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For the purpose of statistical data collection, applicants are strongly encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
Please advise should you require an accommodation to participate in this posting via email or by mail as indicated below.
A combined total of 60% or greater on the test and a total of 60% or greater on the interview must be achieved to obtain the position.
Expression of Interest:
Please send your letter of interest and resume:
firstname.lastname@example.org quoting, Temporary Job Competition #T19.005 – Communications Officer – Bilingual #1 (89-01)–Head Office, no later than Wednesday March 27, 2019.
Written applications, should be marked Employment Opportunities, and must be submitted to: Employee Relations, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, M3B 3P8.