The OPSEU Social Justice Fund supports organizations fighting for human, economic, labour and political rights. The Social Justice Board uses the following criteria to prioritize funding proposals:
- Groups that organize to build power to create systemic change
- Secular approach to issues and organizing
- Projects directed by those most impacted
- Opportunity to partner with equity and other OPSEU groups
- Clear analysis on race, gender, class and other systemic oppressions to guide the organizing and outcomes
- Funding organization has a Statement of Accountability or can demonstrate how they are accountable to racialized and other marginalized groups most impacted by the project
- Commitment to the role of organized labour in effecting social change
As a Union that represents all workers; OPSEU identifies with working people globally. OPSEU’s International Solidarity Funds strive to support:
- Organizations that recognize the need to support those fighting for human rights, economic, trade, and political rights; and in particular those who would not normally receive funding from other sources.
- Proposals by grass root community organizations and credible organizations that already have direct linkages with communities involved in important struggles.
- Projects that are supported or housed within a trade union movement in a particular country.
- Organizations that involve OPSEU members in the social justice fund work as much as possible; e.g. through education tours and meeting with project beneficiaries; as there is much for OPSEU Social Justice Fund to learn from these projects.
- Applications from unions and grassroots community organizations and civil society based in Canada. OPSEU is open to partnerships with other Canadian based unions if there is a demonstrated need.
- Funding of trade union solidarity by funding international projects that meeet our guidinging principles and funding criteria.
Forward requests for funding
100 Lesmill Road
Attention: Tim Vining, Human Rights Officer
Or call Tim Vining at 416-443-8888 ext. 8679.