OPSEU sample letter to PC MPPs re: The Ford government
Today’s Date, 2019
[Mailing Address if by post]
[Or email if sending electronically]
As an Ontarian and a voter, I am deeply concerned with what your government is doing to our province. Your government is turning Ontario into a place where only the rich will thrive. How can the Ford government seriously say it is “for the people” when it is:
- Decimating our education system
- Opening the door to health care privatization
- Cutting funding for so many different programs and services ranging from autism to flood protection to OHIP
- Choosing to lose billions of dollars in revenue by cancelling the cap-and-trade program
- Eliminating progress on the province’s employment standards
- Fighting the federal carbon tax which is good for the environment and deliberately misleading Ontarians by not telling them that they will get more money back in rebates
- Looking at capping public sector wages through legislation, causing little or no pay increases for hundreds of thousands of workers for the next few years.
- Changes autism funding by taking money away from regional agencies while giving funding directly to parents, many of whom say won’t cover the cost of treatment.
And so on.
If your government is really “for the people,” put yourself in “the people’s” shoes. Imagine what it would be like to make minimum wage and have a promised raise taken away from you. Imagine what it would be like to have to mortgage or sell your house so you could afford autism treatment for your child. Imagine what it would be like to lose your job because of funding cuts, while the government turns away revenue-generating programs like cap-and-trade and cannabis sales?
If you really want to serve the constituents who elected you to represent them, do the right thing and stand up to Ford and his toxic agenda because right now your government is failing the people.
I look forward to hearing about your commitment to your constituents and to press Premier Ford to genuinely be for all of the people – not just his cronies.