Job Opportunity: Pensions and Benefits Officer #5 (75-05)
Information marked as archived is provided for reference only. This archived material may not comply with Government Web Standards. Archived material has not been altered or updated since being archived.
Title: Pensions and Benefits Officer #5 (75-05)
Location: Pensions & Benefits Unit, Local Services Division, 5757 Coopers Avenue, Mississauga
Reporting To: Supervisor, Pensions & Benefits Unit
Start Date: To be determined
Salary: $1,755.00 to $1,951.00 per week (Range 4 – Pro-Tech)
Working Conditions: As provided in the OPSSU Collective Agreement
Applicants interested in applying must be able to fulfill the following qualifications listed below:
Provide advocacy, resources, bargaining assistance, policy and legislative development for OPSEU in areas of Benefits and Pensions
- Facilitates the implementation of OPSEU Pension and Benefits Policy and provides the necessary support for mandated benefits committees and pension trustees
- Provides consultative services to OPSEU Staff and Members regarding WSIB, benefits and pensions. Provides advocacy services to members as needed
- Prepares written briefs and policy positions related to legislation and policy affecting pension and benefit plans
- Assists staff representatives in the representation of members with their employers and insurance carriers with respect to WSIB and pensions
- Represents members at WSIB and the WSIAT
- Assists Members in documenting claims and pursuing appeals by obtaining appropriate assessments, treatments, background and medical information
- Prepares and delivers training/educational seminars to staff, members and others as required
- Liaises with outside Labour Organizations, Affiliates and the WSIB
- Represents OPSEU on Pensions Plans and Joint Committees
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience) and six years related work experience
- Requires intermediate PC skills and knowledge of relevant software packages and databases
- Advocacy and Numeracy skills
- Tact and Diplomacy skills
- Knowledge of various treatment modalities
- Knowledge of legislation, regulations, practices and procedures and Collective Agreements dealing with benefits/pensions
- Knowledge of pensions, WSIB, and benefits
- Knowledge of OPSEU organization, structure and policies; knowledge of own Unit as well as familiarity of operations of other Units
- Understanding and commitment to Labour/Social Democratic Philosophy and Diversity
OPSEU supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Aboriginal workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For the purpose of statistical data collection, applicants are strongly encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
Please advise should you require any accommodation to participate in this posting via email or by mail as indicated below.
A combined total of 60% or greater on the test and a total of 60% or greater on the interview must be achieved to obtain the position.
Expression of Interest:
Please send your letter of interest and resume:
firstname.lastname@example.org quoting: PENSIONS & BENEFITS OFFICER #5 (75-05) #19.010 no later than May 15 2019.
Written applications, should be marked Employment Opportunities, and must be submitted to: Employee Relations, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, M3B 3P8.