Job Opportunity - Human Rights Officer #1 (45-01), Equity unit
Title: Human Rights Officer #1 (45-01)
Location: Equity Unit, Communications Division, OPSEU Head Office, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto ON.
Reporting To: Supervisor, Equity Unit
Start Date: To be determined
Salary: $1,787.00 to $1,986.00 per week (Range 4 – Pro-Tech)
Working Conditions: As provided in the OPSSU Collective Agreement
Applicants interested in applying must be able to fulfill the following qualifications listed below:
Provide knowledge to OPSEU staff and members on Equity/Human Rights-related issues
- Provides support and advice to assigned Equity Committees
- Administers and advises on the Harassment and Discrimination Prevention Policy or Personal Harassment Policy
- Provides research, policy and administrative support to OPSEU’s Equity Committees and Caucuses and OPSEU’s representatives on outside committees and subcommittees; represents OPSEU as committee member where necessary
- Acts as an advocate on behalf of members on Human Rights and related issues, excluding any issues relating to complaints under OPSEU’s Harassment and Discrimination Prevention Policy or Personal Harassment Policy
- Advises staff on issues regarding Human Rights and related issues
- Plans and coordinates conferences and workshops on Human Rights and Equity-related issues
- Prepares educational materials on racism, family-work issues, accommodation issues, Human Rights and Employment Equity with the assistance of the Education Unit
- Cooperates with, supports, and advises Ministry ERC’s and subcommittees, Colleges and BPS locals on equity-related issues
- Analyzes and advises on legislation and regulations on Human Rights and related issues
- Develops educational programs for HDPP advisors and investigators
- Promotes accessibility of OPSEU to its membership through alternative formats, principles of accommodation, and administration of the accommodation fund
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience) and four years of related work experience
- Requires intermediate PC skills and knowledge of relevant software packages
- Tact and Diplomacy skills
- Knowledge of applicable Human Rights legislation, policies, theories and principles
- Knowledge of Human Rights case law
- Knowledge of OPSEU Equity Committees and Caucuses
- Knowledge of OPSEU organization, structure and policies; knowledge of own Unit as well as familiarity of operations of other Units
- Knowledge of Ministries
- Understanding and commitment to Labour/Social Democratic Philosophy and Diversity
OPSEU supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Indigenous workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For the purpose of statistical data collection, applicants are strongly encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
A combined total of 60% or greater on the test and a total of 60% or greater on the interview must be achieved to obtain the position.
Please advise should you require any accommodation to participate in this posting via email or by mail as indicated below.
Expression of Interest:
Please send your letter of interest and resume:
firstname.lastname@example.org quoting "19.013 - Human Rights Officer #1 (45-01), Equity Unit", no later than May 24, 2019.
Written applications, should be marked Employment Opportunities, and must be submitted to: Employee Relations, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, M3B 3P8.