Job Opportunities: Temporary Assignment - Communications Officer (42-02), Public and Government Relations Unit
Information marked as archived is provided for reference only. This archived material may not comply with Government Web Standards. Archived material has not been altered or updated since being archived.
Title: Communications Officer (42-02)
Location: Public and Government Relations Unit, Communications Division. OPSEU Head Office, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, Ontario
Reporting To: Supervisor, Public and Government Relations Unit
Start Date: To be determined
Salary: $1,729.00 to $1,922.00 per week (Range 4 – Pro-Tech)
Working Conditions: As provided in the OPSSU Collective Agreement
Applicants interested in applying must be able to fulfill the following qualifications listed below:
- Provides public relations and communications specialization for all aspects of the organization
- Crafts and develops messaging
- Develops and implements communication and PR strategies
- Writes, edits and designs a variety of in-house publications and a wide range of information materials
- Prepares speeches, material, briefs, news releases, bulletins and pamphlets
- Scans a variety of media sources
- Acts as media spokesperson for the union
- Liaises with affiliates, community organization, coalitions, government agencies as required
- Uses graphics, topography and design to produce OPSEU publications
- Edits and proofreads materials prepared by other staff
Performs other related duties as assigned
- Requires an undergraduate degree in Communications (or equivalent combination of education and experience) and three years of related work experience
- Requires advanced PC skills and knowledge of relevant software packages
- Tact and Diplomacy skills
- Knowledge of contemporary communication strategies, news media, the communications environment, various communication tools and their uses, polling and public opinion
- Knowledge of graphic design principles
- Knowledge of labour and government issues
- Knowledge of OPSEU organization, structure and policies and of own unit as well as familiarity of operations of other Unit
- Must be able to work on a variety of topics that are time-sensitive
- Understanding and commitment to Labour/Social Democratic Philosophy and Diversity
OPSEU supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Indigenous workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For the purpose of statistical data collection, applicants are strongly encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
Please advise should you require any accommodation to participate in this posting via email or by mail as indicated below.
Expression of Interest:
Please send your letter of interest and resume:
[email protected] quoting Communications Officer, Public and Government Relations #T17.014, no later than October 10, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
Written applications, should be marked Employment Opportunities, and must be submitted to: Employee Relations, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, M3B 3P8.