Job Opportunities - Negotiator A-Typical (12-10), Negotiations Unit
Title: Negotiator A-Typical (12-10), Negotiations Unit
Location: Head Office 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto ON, M3B 3P8
Start Date: To be determined
Salary: $1,729.00 to $1,922.00 per week (Range 4 – Pro-Tech)
Working Conditions: As provided in the OPSSU/OPSEU Collective Agreement
Applicants interested in applying must be able to fulfill the following qualifications listed below:
To provide expert opinion, advice, guidance and advocacy for bargaining and dispute resolution to staff, members and teams:
- Negotiates transfer/transitional agreements/redeployment settlements as required
- Assists with delivery of membership education programs and community organizing campaigns with regard to OPS issues
- Works with members, staff, locals, areas councils and community groups to organize and/or lobby as required
- Coaches and supports the MERCs in fulfilling their advocacy and co-ordination roles
- Represents OPS members, units, MERCs and locals in dispute resolution forums in an advocacy/spokesperson role, including collective bargaining as assigned
- Provides advice to staff, members, Executive Board Members and bargaining teams re job security, attendance management, security screening and implementation of employer policies
- Develops innovative, proactive strategies and positions in the area of job security (e.g. divestment, privatization, contracting out, lay-offs) and acts as spokesperson to protect and preserve OPS members' rights and jobs
- Develops and writes contract/dispute settlement language; researches and prepares arguments and proposals for bargaining BPS agreements as assigned
- Prepares and negotiates Essential Services agreements; documents, prepares and delivers training materials for locals and staff
- Develops new, innovative bargaining/dispute resolution strategies and positions
- Prepares briefing notes on province-wide government initiatives
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Requires an undergraduate degree (or an equivalent combination of education and experience) and three years of related work experience.
- Requires intermediate PC skills and knowledge of relevant software packages
- Advocacy, Facilitation skills and numeracy skills
- Tact and Diplomacy skills
- Knowledge of bargaining trends, case law, settlements and related labour legislation, economic and political trends and specific knowledge of Government policies
- Knowledge of OPSEU organization, structure and policies; knowledge of own Unit as well as familiarity of operations of other Units
- Understanding and commitment to Labour/Social Democratic Philosophy and Diversity
OPSEU supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Indigenous workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For the purpose of statistical data collection, applicants are strongly encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
Please advise should you require an accommodation to participate in this posting via email or by mail as indicated below.
Expression of Interest:
Please send your letter of interest and resume:
[email protected] quoting, Job Competition #17.011 - Negotiator A-Typical #10 (12-10)–Head Office , no later than August 16, 2017.
Written applications, should be marked Employment Opportunities, and must be submitted to: Employee Relations, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, M3B 3P8.