Job Opportunities - Grievance Officer #6 (77-06), Arbitrations Unit
Location: Head Office, 100 Lesmill Rd. North York ON. M3B 3P8
Reporting To: Supervisor, Arbitrations Unit
Start Date: To be determined
Salary: $1,729.00 to $1,922.00 per week (Range 4 – Pro-Tech)
Working Conditions: As provided in the OPSSU Collective Agreement
Applicants interested in applying must be able to fulfill the following qualifications listed below:
- Prepares evidence, including examinations in chief and cross-examinations of witnesses, researches and applies case law, presents arguments
- Responds to questions regarding collective agreement interpretation
- Meets with LEC’s, grievors and management representatives with a view to settling grievances to a grievor’s satisfaction
- Guides and instructs outside counsel
- May provide advice and representation to members and staff regarding regulated professions
- Co-ordinates and administrates grievances in the area of responsibility
- Negotiates and mediates grievance settlements
- Prepares written submissions as required
- Provides advice to OPSEU staff and members concerning grievances, including legal principles and case law, strategy, process and settlements as well as the merits of grievances
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience) and five years of related work experience with demonstrated advocacy skills
- Requires intermediate PC skills and knowledge of relevant software packages
- Tact and Diplomacy skills
- Knowledge of labour and related legislation and legislative changes, case law, collective agreement language, grievance/arbitration procedures and practices
- Knowledge of in-house case law database
- Knowledge of OPSEU organization, structure and policies; knowledge of own Unit as well as familiarity of operations of other Units
- Understanding and commitment to Labour/Social Democratic Philosophy and Diversity
OPSEU supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Indigenous workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For the purpose of statistical data collection, applicants are strongly encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
A combined total of 60% or greater on the test and a total of 60% or greater on the interview must be achieved to obtain the position.
Expression of Interest:
Please send your letter of interest and resume:
[email protected] quoting Grievance Officer #18.017, no later than May 28, 2018.
Written applications, should be marked Employment Opportunities, and must be submitted to: Employee Relations, 100 Lesmill Road, Toronto, M3B 3P8.