HOOPP seeks OPSEU trustee
The OPSEU Pension Liaison Committee invites you or someone you know to get involved with the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) by applying to become a union trustee.
We are looking for suitable candidates for an available trustee position. With the challenges facing defined benefit pension plans, we need people who have a firm and deep commitment to the labour movement and union principles!
HOOPP trustees are generally required to meet for two days, four times each year, and participate on at least one committee of the Board of Trustees. Attendance at various pension-related activities, including training sessions, is also required. Time off is provided, and expenses are reimbursed according to OPSEU policy. The successful candidate must be willing to sign a letter of agreement that they will claim expenses only as per OPSEU policy.
Who should apply?
We are looking for individuals who have, or are willing to gain:
- knowledge and commitment to OPSEU’s beliefs and pension policy;
- a good understanding of defined benefit pension plans and the pension legislation that governs them;
- an understanding of basic investment principles and various types of investments;
Must-haves for the position are:
- the ability to commit to preparing for, and attending, at least eight meetings per year including committee work;
- a strong desire to learn more about pension plans and the pension landscape, good governance practices, investments; and
- the ability to effectively communicate, ask questions and defend one’s position in a persuasive manner.
Applicants must also be actively participating in HOOPP and be a member in good standing with OPSEU. Applicants need not have experience in pension plans. Experience and participation in the union movement and/or their community will also be considered. Once appointed, training opportunities are provided by the plan.
If you or someone you know would be interested in applying for the exciting position of union trustee, please forward your application including name, contact information and place of employment, along with a resume no later than 5:00 p.m. on July 14, 2017 to:
Joycelyn Martyn, Administrative Assistant
Pensions and Benefits Unit
5757 Coopers Avenue
Mississauga, ON L4Z 1R9
Fax: (905) 712-3009
A written test will be required. Study material will be provided in advance. Candidates who successfully complete the testing will be selected for an interview.