Application deadline extended to July 30, 2021.
The OPSEU/SEFPO Executive board unanimously approved an annual bursary/scholarship of $1,000 to be awarded in the memory of Brother Larry Cripps, a Correctional Officer and longtime union activist who died in 2004.
Who can apply:
This scholarship is open to dependents of OPSEU/SEFPO members in good standing who are confirmed as enrolled in either a Police Foundations course or a Law and Security/Corrections course at a publicly-funded, publicly-run post-secondary institution in Ontario. Please submit your relationship to an OPSEU/SEFPO member and the number of his/her Local on your application form.
How to apply:
All of the following items must be submitted with your application and received by OPSEU/SEFPO by email or mail on or before the application deadline of July 30, 2021 (see application form for mailing and email addresses):
- The application form completed fully. Once the fillable application is opened, click on view and then select “edit document” to fill out and return by the application deadline.
- Personal statement about why you have chosen to study corrections, and what your future goals are as a result of your studies
- Respond to both of the following questions. Your response may be a 1,500-word essay, or a photo series, short video, poem, an audio file, or visual art piece:
- What are the major issues facing correctional workers in the Ontario Correctional system today and how does their union, OPSEU/SEFPO, help workers deal with these issues?
- What are the strengths of a publicly-funded, publicly-run, correctional services system for Ontario?