The application deadline for the Larry Cripps Scholarship has now been extended to July 15, 2020.
The OPSEU Executive board unanimously approved an annual bursary/scholarship of $1,000 to be awarded in the memory of Brother Larry Cripps, a Correctional Officer and longtime union activist who died in 2004.
Who can apply:
This scholarship is open to dependents of OPSEU members in good standing who are confirmed as enrolled in either a Police Foundations course or a Law and Security/Corrections course at a publicly-funded, publicly-run post-secondary institution in Ontario. Please submit your relationship to an OPSEU member and the number of his/her Local on your application form.
How to apply:
All of the following items must be submitted with your application and received by OPSEU by email or mail on or before the application deadline (see application form for mailing and email addresses):
- The application form, completed fully. Once the word fillable application is opened, click on view and then select “edit document” to fill out and return by the application deadline.
- Personal statement about why you have chosen to study corrections, and what your future goals are as a result of your studies
- Respond to both of the following questions. Your response may be a 1,500 word essay, or a photo series, short video, poem, audio file, or visual art piece:
1. What are the major issues facing correctional workers in the Ontario Correctional system today and how does their union, OPSEU, help workers deal with these issues?
2. What are the strengths of a publicly-funded, publicly-run, correctional services system for Ontario?