The College Employer Council (on behalf of the Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology)
The Ontario Public Service Employees Union (for CAAT Full-time Support Staff Employees)
June 15, 2022
The Colleges’ Bargaining Team, in conducting negotiations, will support and endorse the following principles:
- Acknowledging that Colleges are public institutions, maintaining management, union and support staff accountability and responsibility
- Improving operational flexibility in support of academic delivery and student success
- Fostering a respectful environment that enables employees to continue to thrive and develop
- Supporting innovation and creativity
- Maintaining the highest degree of integrity
- Maintaining a sustainable positive relationship with the Union and our employees
- Ensuring that Colleges continue to respond effectively to the changing needs of Ontario’s economy
- Embracing the values of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) in the collective agreement.
- Embracing the ongoing process of reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples in addressing related language within the Collective Agreement.
- Making all reasonable efforts to conclude a negotiated collective agreement in a timely manner.
COLLEGES’ TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION INCLUDE:
- Gender neutral language in the collective agreement
- Transition to electronic version of the Collective Agreement
- Accessibility of the collective agreement
- Streamline the job posting process
- Clarify layoff language
- Clarify the classification arbitration process
- Vacation carry-over
- Move Initiatives/Opportunities (I/O) language into the Collective Agreement
- Pregnancy/parental leave
- Removing obsolete language
- Review and Update the Letters of Understanding
The Colleges reserve the right to add to, amend, modify, or remove topics for discussion. More formal proposals to follow.