OPSEU/SEFPO’s Provincial Human Rights Committee (PHRC) will be holding their biennial conference from November 25 – 27 2022, at the Sheraton Centre in downtown Toronto.
Applications are now closed.
The theme for this conference is “Living and Working Well: Speaking truth to power in a COVID society.” We will look at the ways in which people coped while working through a global pandemic. We will also examine the restrictions that changed the way we communicate and supported each other and what that looks like moving forward.
Topics for discussion will include:
- Challenges frontline workers faced at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Coping strategies and how to maintain good physical and mental health
- Examining how political decisions have affected workers and communities with a focus on the impacts on human rights
- Hybrid Conference. Applicants will have a choice to choose between “in-person” or “virtually”. All attendees must choose which preference they have.
- The OPSEU/SEFPO Human Rights Conference will be in line with all existing and new health and safety guidelines in response to COVID-19 (ex. capacity limits, physical distancing, etc.) Subject to change without prior notice based on the Province of Ontario’s mandates and/or restrictions.
- Friday November 25, 2022 – 7:00PM – 9:00PM (registration begins at 4:00PM)
- Saturday November 26, 2022 9:00AM – 5:00PM; Evening Program 7:00PM – 9:00PM
- Sunday November 27, 2022 from 9:00AM – 12:00PM
On-site Childcare Dates/Times:
- Friday November 25 2022 – 4:00PM – 9:30PM
- Saturday November 26, 2022 8:00AM – 4:30PM; Evening 6:30PM – 9:30PM
- Sunday November 27, 2022 from 8:00AM – 12:30PM
- Held at the Sheraton Centre Downtown Toronto 123 Queen St. West
- Virtual participation available
Space is limited and event participants will be selected by the selection committee with assistance from the Equity Unit. The selection process seeks to achieve a diverse group of attendees, representative of various equity groups within our membership.
For any questions and/or additional requirements, please contact the Equity Unit directly at email@example.com
We look forward to meeting you at the Conference!
OPSEU/SEFPO Provincial Human Rights Committee (PHRC)
Authorized for Distribution by JP Hornick, OPSEU/SEFPO President
Tentative Conference Agenda
Friday November, 2022
4:00 to 7:00 PM Registration
5:00 PM Smudging Ceremony
7:00 to 7:20 PM Welcome, Conference Logistics,
7:20 to 7:40 PM Land Acknowledgement Education Session
7:40 to 8:55 PM Keynote Speaker (Charlene Marshall) – Wellness at Work
8:55 to 9:00 PM Wrap-up and adjourn
Saturday November, 2022
8:00 to 9:00 AM Breakfast (not provided), Registration Re-opens
9:00 to 9:15 AM Morning Announcements
9:15 to 9:30 AM OPSEU/SEFPO President, OPSEU/SEFPO First Vice-President/Treasurer, Conference Opening Remarks and Welcome
9:30 to 9:45 AM The political effects of COVID-19 and their impacts on the safety of migrant workers
9:45 to 10:30 AM Panel Discussion – The political effects of COVID-19 on Community Wellness with Tyler Downey, Natasha Grey, Layla Statts and Paul Taylor; Moderator by Shadiyah Stoute
10:30 to 10:45 AM Break (Movement Session/Chair Yoga)
10:45 AM to 11:30 AM Panel Discussion cont’d
11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Question Café
12:00 to 1:30 PM Lunch (not provided) – Chair Yoga Session
1:30 PM to 2:30 PM Roundtable Discussions (water, food security, health and wellness, labour shortage, privatization)
2:30 PM to 3:15 PM Report back from roundtable discussion
3:15 to 3:30 PM Break
3:30 to 4:30 PM Report back from Roundtable discussion cont’d
4:30 PM Wrap-up and adjourn, Dinner (not provided)
7:00PM to 11:00 PM Evening Event: Networking with MPPs on human rights issues that impact communities across Ontario the most
Sunday November, 2022
8:00 to 9:00 AM Breakfast (not provided)
9:00 to 10:30 AM Building and Developing an Action Plan for Resilient Communities
10:30 to 10:45 AM Break
10:45 to 11:45 AM Examining Various Methods of Lobbying
11:45 AM to 12:00 PM Conference Wrap-Up, Evaluation, Traveling Song and Adjournment