OPSEU/SEFPO’s Indigenous Circle Water Campaign Committee invites you to submit your application to participate in the upcoming 2022 Water Summit. We welcome all members who would like to address the urgent and emerging water crisis across Ontario
The Water Summit’s theme is “Water as a Human Right.” The goal is to inspire and equip OPSEU/SEFPO members and allies to partner and work with Indigenous communities during this time of reconciliation.
The Water Summit will focus on the current global water crisis and generate a critical conversation among OPSEU/SEFPO membership. The water crisis, particularly disproportionately affects Ontario’s Indigenous communities.
The summit will aim to raise a larger awareness among OPSEU/SEFPO members on the current water crisis and also highlight the longstanding inequities Indigenous communities face when it comes to accessing clean and safe water.
Themes for discussion will include:
- Water sources (ecosystems, food and agriculture, energy and industry etc.)
- Water Infrastructure (water treatment, storage, supply etc.)
- Water and social cultural concepts (the role of water in homes, workplaces, schools and now during a global pandemic)
- 2 day hybrid event with the ability to go forward as a sole virtual event if Public Health and/or Provincial Government no longer allows for an in-person event
- Applicants will have a choice to choose between “in-person” or “virtually”. All attendees must choose which preference they have.
- Water Summit will be in line with all/any current health and safety guidelines in response to COVID-19 (capacity limits, mask policy, physical distancing, etc. as per venues policy)
- Create a comprehensive understanding of how water is valued by different people
- Encourage members to look at ways they can increase their water knowledge and apply water conservation principles at micro level (personal) vs. macro level (societal/community)
- Date: Tuesday, March 22 & Wednesday, March 23, 2022
- Time: 9 am – 4:30 pm
- Held at Lord Elgin Hotel, Ottawa (in-person option)
- Via Zoom (virtual option)
Space is limited and event participants will be selected by the Indigenous Circle’s Water Campaign Committee with assistance from the Equity Unit. The selection process seeks to achieve a diverse group of attendees, representative of Indigenous and other equity groups within our membership.
Please submit your completed application no later than 5PM, Friday, March 4th, 2022. You can apply directly by logging onto OPSEU’s member portal at: https://members.opseu.org/. Only online applications will be accepted for this event. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For any questions and/or additional requirements, please contact the Equity Unit directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting you at the Summit!
In Solidarity Authorized For Distribution:
Warren (Smokey) Thomas
OPSEU/SEFPO Indigenous Circle – Water Campaign Committee Water