This is to advise you that the Broader Public Sector Conference and Sector Divisional Meetings have been scheduled.
Broader Public Sector Conference:
- Friday, October 22, 2021, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
BPS Sector Divisional Meetings (SDM):
- Saturday, October 23, 2021 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 24, 2021 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Participation instructions will be provided to all attendees upon confirmation of attendance.
- Friday, October 22, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Saturday, October 23, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 24, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Challenges. Action. Resilience.
The theme of this year’s conference is “Challenges. Action. Resilience.”
Since March 2020, OPSEU/SEFPO members in the Broader Public Sector have faced many challenges working on the frontlines to provide support for Ontarians during one of the most difficult times our province has experienced. Some of those challenges included rapidly-changing direction from the government, isolating from our loved ones, putting our own health at risk to keep providing services, fighting for proper safety measures, and the anxieties of living through a global health pandemic.
Throughout every obstacle, BPS workers endured and showed resilience and strength. We showed up for Ontarians every day to make sure the needs of our communities were met.
We’ve learned many lessons from this pandemic, and it has also strengthened our resolve to keep fighting for the improvements to our sector that we’ve been recommending for years. Your participation in the BPS Conference and Divisional Meetings is important to ensure that we have a powerful voice in the post-pandemic recovery – both with our employers and the government.
Stay tuned for additional information regarding this event. We hope to see you there!
The BPS Conference is designed to attract as much participation as possible from OPSEU/SEFPO’s BPS units. Elections must be held in each unit to determine the number of delegate(s) that may participate in the conference. Delegate entitlements are based on a convention formula by bargaining unit (found below).
Delegate entitlement is determined by bargaining unit configuration, not by Local.
A bargaining unit is a group of employees covered by a single collective agreement.
Delegates to the Conference must be elected as per OPSEU/SEFPO Policy.
The Delegate entitlement for the following sectors is based on Convention formula by bargaining unit:
- Sector 2 Developmental Services
- Sector 3 Boards of Education
- Sector 5 Community Agencies
- Sector 7 BPS Corrections
- Sector 9 Universities
- Sector 10 Hospital Professionals Division
- Sector 11 Hospital Support
- Sector 14 Private Contractors
- Sector 17 Community Health Care Professionals
- Sector 18 Mental Health
- Sector 19 Canadian Blood Services (CBS) & Diagnostics
- Sector 20 General (Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario [AGCO], Lactanet Canada, HR Ottawa Employee Services c.o.b. Rideau Carleton Raceway Casino, Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation [OLGC], Ontario New Democratic Party Caucus [ONDPC], Ontario Pension Board [OPB], Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board [OTPPB], OPSEU/SEFPO Pension Trust [OPT], Teranet Incorporated, Workplace Safety & Insurance Appeals Tribunal [WSIAT])
- Sector 26 Liquor Board Employees Division (LBED), Ambassador Duty Free
NOTE: Because this is a BPS conference only BPS bargaining units are eligible to send delegates, (i.e. not Colleges of Applied Arts & Technology (CAAT) or Ontario Public Service (OPS) Units) and only BPS members are eligible to be delegates, (i.e. not CAAT or OPS members).
The Convention Formula is as follows:
- Up to 150 members: 1 delegate
- 151 to 300 members: 2 delegates
- 301 to 500 members: 3 delegates
- 501 to 800 members: 4 delegates
- 801 to 1,100 members: 5 delegates
- 1,101 to 1,500 members: 6 delegates
- 1,501 to 1,900 members: 7 delegates
- 1,901 to 2,300 members: 8 delegates
- 2,301 or more members: 9 delegates
However, if there is more than one BPS Unit/Employer contract within the same Local, each Unit is entitled to a delegate from that Unit.
The following sectors have bylaws which allow them to have a different delegate entitlement:
Sector 1 – Ambulance
Each BPS unit is entitled to delegates as per the Convention formula for both the Conference and the Sector Divisional Meeting.
Each Ontario Public Service (OPS) Dispatch Service is entitled to delegates as per the Convention formula but only to the Sector Divisional Meeting.
Sector 4 – Children’s Aid Societies (CAS)
(1 to 200 unionized employees) – 2 delegates; over 200 members – 3 delegates). There is a maximum of 3 delegates per Local/Unit with the exception of Article 6.2 of the CAS Bylaws.
Sector 8 – Long Term Care
(Up to 100 members – 2 delegates; over 100 members – 3 delegates)
Sector 13 – Municipalities
(Up to 75 members – 2 delegates; over 75 members – 3 delegates)
Sector 15 – Child Treatment Centers
(Up to 75 members – 2 delegates; over 75 members – 3 delegates)
Sector 16 – Property Assessment
(Each Sector 16 Local is entitled to 1 delegate for 1 to 50 members, 51 to 98 members – 2 delegates; 99 and over members – 3 delegates)
OPSEU/SEFPO will only pay for Delegates. While alternates are welcome, space is limited. The Local must pay all expenses of Alternates and/ or Observers and must complete and attach the Local Rebate Deduction Form for Alternates and Observers.
**Please Note: As this meeting is being held virtually, no expenses outside of time off (if required) will be reimbursed except in special circumstances where expenses have been pre-approved. To inquire further about pre-approval, please email email@example.com.
Credential Attestation Form
The OPSEU/SEFPO Policy Manual (Section 16.1) states that credentials must be submitted with the signatures of two (2) Local Officers on the Credential Attestation Form. We have provided one form for you to list all attendees on. Please send this completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, October 1, 2021. Please clearly identify your status on the form (i.e. Delegate/Alternate/Observer).
Once the form is received, a follow up email will be sent to you to register via OPSEU/SEFPO’s Member Portal. In order to confirm your registration, please register through the Member Portal no later than Monday, October 11, 2021.
Note: other required forms cannot be processed until this form is received.
**Please Note: Registration and other required forms cannot be processed until the Credential Attestation Form is received. You will not see the conference open for registration on the portal until your credentials have been processed. You must register by the established due date.
Human Rights Accommodation Request Form
Should you require a human rights accommodation or have an existing accommodation under the Human Rights Code, please complete and submit the Human Rights Accommodation Request Form in full.
OPSEU/SEFPO Child Care Policy
OPSEU/SEFPO will reimburse for child care expenses as per policy. OPSEU/SEFPO’s rate of family care to be paid $15/hr to a max of $220 within a 24 hr period to cover the cost of you doing union business. A receipt, signed by the care provider, showing the dates the service was provided, the address and phone number of the care provider and the names and ages of the children will need to be provided.
**Please Note: As this meeting is being held virtually, child care expenses will not be reimbursed unless pre-approved. To inquire further about pre-approval, please email email@example.com.
Procedures for Online Registration
Once the Credential Attestation Form has been received and processed, members are to register through OPSEU/SEFPO’s Member Portal.
Attached you will find the following documentation:
- Credential Attestation Form
- OPSEU/SEFPO Human Rights Accommodation Form
- Member Portal Quick Intro
- Event Registration Tutorial
- Online Expense Claim Tutorial
When submitting your credential form, please indicate whether you will require a printed sector booklet, and if a bilingual translation of the conference material will be needed.
We appreciate your cooperation and participation in these meetings.