Protect yourself by joining OPSEU
If you’re worried about anything from getting COVID-19 to being laid off, you’re better protected in a strong union like OPSEU.
That’s because when you’re in a union, you get a collective agreement.
It’s a legally binding contract like a lease, car loan, or mortgage – your managers MUST follow it to the letter.
You can see your Simcoe co-workers’ collective agreement right here. As you can see, it guarantees in writing that they have:
- Lay-off protection. In Simcoe, managers can’t just lay you off arbitrarily. First, they have to prove they’ve explored all other avenues. In the worst-case scenario, they have to lay off newest workers first, and give them at least two week’s notice. And workers with the most seniority must be hired back first.
- COVID-19 protection. In Simcoe, workers have a variety of protections against the pandemic, including:
- Proper training for all personal protective equipment (PPE) like masks, gloves, and gowns.
- Social distancing of at least two metres that LifeLabs MUST enforce.
- The support they need to refuse unsafe work and demand government investigations of safety breaches.
- Vacation protection: In Simcoe, nobody is being forced to use vacation or banked time. Why not the same for you?
- Sick time protection: Your Simcoe counterparts kept unlimited sick time during this COVID crisis. They can stay home and stay protected during 14-day isolation.
- Screening protection: In Simcoe, workers aren’t penalized if they’re late to their shift because they’ve been held up in screening. In fact, they’re paid for their time in screening.
Don’t you deserve these kinds of protections? By joining OPSEU, you can have them.
Sign up RIGHT NOW by pushing this button: It’s fast, easy, and confidential: